History: Merchants Bank was founded October 8, 1890. Merchants Bank is one of the last local community banks in Northampton County. The original bank was built in 1890 on the site of an old wheelwright shop. This all-stone building of unique architecture was constructed at a cost of $6,400.00. It is now the Bangor Public Library. On Lincoln's birthday in 1939, the bank moved to its present home office site at 25 Broadway in Bangor, PA. This was then the Republican Club building and at one time housed the American Store. A baby elephant took part in a Republican party on the third floor. The bank's move involved transporting a ten-ton vault door, which is the current vault door today. Merchants was one of the few banks in the area and the only one in Bangor allowed to remain open after the "Bank Holiday" was declared in 1932. When there was a run on the banks, more money was brought to the bank on armored trucks. When people saw the bank was able to survive the panic, they came back after a few days and put the money back in their accounts.
Branches: 9 Current Locations. The bank's first branch location, on Pennsylvania Avenue in Bangor, opened in June of 1966. It was added so we could have a drive up and ample parking. Later it became the home of our first ATM. Another branch bank opened in Mt. Bethel in time for our bank's 100th anniversary celebration in 1990. Then on December 15, 1997 our fourth branch location opened in Wind Gap, and on December 15, 2003 Merchants opened a branch in Martins Creek. On June 28, 2004 the bank opened its first Business Center at 1 Centre Square in Easton, PA, which was designed to serve the business community. Then on October 9, 2006 MNB opened a three story structure in Forks Township, with the bank lobby located on the first floor and additional bank offices located on the second and third floors. The Nazareth branch at 22 South Broad Street, opened on May 29, 2007. The bank's ninth and southern-most branch at 2 West Broad Street, Bethlehem, opened in August 2013. In July 2014, due to growth, the Easton branch moved to 46 Centre Square, formerly home to Lenny's Sportswear.
MNB Investment Services: The investment division of the bank was founded in January, 2002. Originally it was a subsidiary of Merchants National Bank named MNB Investment Corporation.
Recognition: Merchants Bank was rated one of the top 100 Community Banks in the United States. It is one of the very few independent banks originating in the Slate Belt area. In 2013 the Bank was recognized for its community involvement and volunteerism through two awards: Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce's The Spirit of Forks Award as well as The Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley's Spirit of Volunteerism Award.